At the intersection of Dongjiang Southern Branch (Wanjiang) and Fenxi River, lies a delta named Jin’aozhou, where Jin’aozhou Tower was erected during the Ming Dynasty, 1597 AD. At the time the Dongguan County Magistrate, Weng Ruyu, initiated local notable families and clans into building this tower. It took 27 years to complete the 50.96-meter-tall octagonal tower. Since then it has been considered a typical Feng Shui pagoda, a symbol of culture, education and a bane to evil spirits.
Jin’aozhou Tower was established near the river to serve as a navigational landmark for passing ships. Its presence reinforces the geographical position and adorns the beautiful river views. Before the tower came into being, the area near Dongjiang was constantly threatened by disastrous floods. Villages and fields were often destroyed, and people believed that only a tower could protect the land from the monstrous waters. A low terrain area cannot be geomagnetically auspicious because Qi cannot be gathered. The west of Dongguan where Jin’aozhou lies was the case. The rivers cut through the flat plain without surrounding high lands or hills. That was another reason why Jin’aozhou Tower was set up in the hope of bringing more wealth and fortune.