After growing discontent with the public holiday schedule, China’s Office of National Holidays conducted an online poll to determine the holiday schedule for 2014. A notable issue for most foreigners working in China was the re-arranging of weekends in order to accommodate holidays. In 2014, weekends surrounding long holidays will only require one day of work to be made up rather than both weekend days, eliminating the seven to eight straight working days of previous years.
The detailed holiday:
• January 1
• January 31- February 6 (seven days in total)
• January 26 (Sunday) and February 8 (Saturday) are official working days
Tomb Sweeping Day
• April 5-7 (three days in total)
• May 1-3 (three days in total)
• May 4 (Sunday) is an official working day
Dragon Boat Festival
• May 31-June 2 (three days in total)
• September 6-8 (three days in total)
• October 1-7 (seven days in total)
• September 28 (Sunday) and October 11 (Saturday) are official working days
The State Council also released the “Decision on Revising the Measure of National Holidays and Memorial Days” on the same day, which adds some special holidays for certain groups of people, including women, youths, children, and soldiers. It will enter into effect on January 1, 2014.
The schedule of special holidays:
• March 8: All women enjoy half-day leave
• May 4: Youths over 14 years old (and under 28) enjoy half-day leave
• June 1: Children under 14 years old enjoy the whole day off
Memorial Day of the People’s Liberation Army of China
• August 1: Soldiers on active service enjoy half-day leave
Dezan Shira & Associates is a specialist foreign direct investment practice, providing corporate establishment, business advisory, tax advisory and compliance, accounting, payroll, due diligence and financial review services to multinationals investing in emerging Asia. Since its establishment in 1992, the firm has grown into one of Asia’s most versatile full-service consultancies with operational offices across China, Hong Kong, India, Singapore and Vietnam as well as liaison offices in Italy and the United States.
For further details or to contact the firm, please email email@example.com or visit www.dezshira.com.